Monday, July 12, 2010

Peace and Quiet...

That's what I came home to last evening. I was brave, put on my big girl panties and actually left for an entire weekend away BY MYSELF! I know. I didn't think I could do it either. I didn't even flinch. Okay, so I did think a little here and there what would happen to my girls when I orphaned them. How would Brian survive? What would he tell them about me? You know, all that morbid stuff. But it waxed and waned here and there and only ever so briefly. I have a bit of a fatalist's streak in me so that will never change. I worry only about the things I cannot control.

It was a great weekend, though. Despite the 3 hr drive and the lack of air conditioning. I am not normally a tube top girl, but sacrifices were made- by me and my style sense and modesty and those who lost their vision after seeing me! Picked up my sister Lori along the way which was a nice way to wind down the drive. I miss spending time with my sister(s).

Saturday we went to Brookings SD for their annual Arts Festival. It was hot. So damn hot. But we had a good time. We didn't even hit a single person even though there were a few snotty old ladies just asking for it. We kept our cool and had fun. I bought all sorts of stuff for my yard. I bought a bird house, an iron flower bird feeder, two small iron citronella votive holders that stake into the ground, and a decorative globe/arrow thing for my flower bed. I'm slowly becoming everything I never said I would- mostly old lady, but that's a whole other blog altogether. So exciting. And like a little kid I put it all up the night I got home. Couldn't wait. My yard is a little mini bird wonderland utopia. Cool.

It was nice to hang out a feel a bit like a kid again. Relish in having a mom instead of being one. Talk girl talk. Look at gross celeb mags with my mom & sis and pick everyone apart as if we really know them or like the cellulite on our legs looks any better! Relish in my dad becoming a marshmallow (sorry Lare-Bear) as he takes care of all his mangy farm cats. Feeding them milk and hot dogs and naming them all. It's awesome. And of course seeing my home change and realizing it's not my home anymore, but somehow always will be. It's bittersweet really. Trading one family for the other.

And what did I come home to? Sleeping babies. Sleeping Papa. Good thing it was only naps. Still plenty of time for hugs and kisses before the weekend ended.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.