Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Talking twosome

About  2 weeks ago I started teaching the girls sign language again. It died off when Brian was home full time (*aghem*) and fell to the wayside. But I have found that these two speak Mushmouth, a native language of toddlers I cannot decipher. Ma, mar, mahr etc. More? Ma? Move? Hell if I know. So we taught them the sign for "more" and "food". It never stops. "Food" is our first request in the morning. The first thing they ask for when I get home from work- can't even get a kiss out of the little turkeys! In fact, it was what we asked for 20 min after having supper. They'd eat me out of house and home if they could. They constantly smell like graham crackers. "More" is reserved more food, more stories, more dancing, more everything.

Since starting the signing I've actually seen a giant change in their language skills. They are trying to say so much more. I think they are finally starting to learn the power of words. Lili spent a good chunk of the evening last night wondering around shouting "frog". Of all words to pick up. Now we are working on the sign for "please". Addi has caught on quickly. When denied kisses if I use the sign she will run over every time to give me one. And when asked "What do you say?" she will inevitably sign "Please". Lili just laughs and runs away obliging only occasionally at her leisure.

Head nods/shakes have been reigning as well. Addi apparently doesn't want to do anything other than eat. If asked a nonfood related question she will usually say no. If food is involved then suddenly she remembers how to nod "yes". It's too cute. Too opinionated, but too cute!

1 comment :

  1. Those girls are too adorable! I wish I had some amazing advice for you...but I don't. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.