Monday, August 11, 2014

Growing Up


First day of school today.  Here they are all dressed in their uniforms and looking cute as can be! 

So how did it go? Well, Bri had taken off the day to come with for drop off.  We ran into our niece/their cousin just as we were getting their and I think that only quadrupled their excitement! Everyone spent a few minutes showing off how fast their new school shoes were. 

Don't they look so grown up?!

We walked them down to their classrooms and then decided to split- I took Lili and Brian took Addi.  We had just finished unpacking Lili's backpack when Bri & Addi came in.  Apparently, Addi had realized that she didn't get to say goodbye to her sister for the day and wanted to come and do that.  It was pretty obvious that she wanted a hug, but Lili played it off as silly and didn't give it to her.  She got a "knucks" instead. After dropping her off I went back to say my goodbyes to Addi who immediately took to coloring and making friends. 

Bri and I spent some time together downtown, eating breakfast, having coffee and catching up.  We had fun making the girls some "first day of school after school snacks" (or FDOSASS for short). Extra salty chocolate chip cookies- because having a beard makes it harder to distinguish between teaspoon and tablespoons.  I hope to make it yearly tradition- with less sodium. The girls loved them and Lili was very excited to talk about her first day.  Addi was pretty quiet at first and had a hard time saying anything about school. About 15 minutes into Lili talking she began to ask her sister about her day and started to open up.  I think Brian nailed it earlier today when he said that "she is a bit like her mother. Tough exterior."  It's true.  I like to think of it as my marshmellowy center.  Really, it's like my self-conscious, self-doubting little kid insides or general neurosis. 

Anyway.  We got the girls settled and headed out. For me, letting go was easy.  I loved school and am happy to pass this excitement down to my kids.  Bri had a bit harder time; I think it's hard to watch our children grow up and venture out into the world.  Will I always be excited or at ease with this? Probably not.  Next week you will probably be reading a blog post from me flipping out over this very same thing! So, until next week... 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.