Friday, December 19, 2008

Home at last. How bittersweet.

Today I was discharged home. I was given the chance to stay an extra day, but chose to come home where I might actually get some rest. It is true, there is no rest for a new mom in the hospital. Unfortunately, that did mean leaving behind my little girls which is only making this whole thing that much more surreal.

Addi is doing well. She is in an isolette (or what most people know as an incubator) to help her keep warm. She is receiving her feedings thru a little tube that goes in her nose down to her stomach as she isn't quite strong enough to start feeding all by herself yet. The nurses tell me she has quite the voice and though she is the smallest baby in her room she is by far the loudest! One nurse was even convinced that she heard a swear word or two come out of her! Ha-ha! I think she gets that from her mom. Oddly, we have yet to verify this. She has been so sleepy each time we are down, but as of today she has started to wake up for us more. She is even starting to take off on breastfeeding. I see a little glint of that temper in her eyes each time she latches on and realizes mommy's milk isn't in yet.

Lili has had a little tougher start. She has had some trouble breathing since the delivery and has been on oxygen via a nasal cannula. Her need for oxygen has varied and it will be a little while yet before I think she is ready to get rid of it. Because of this and how fast she is breathing she runs the risk of inhaling liquids so she can only recieve food by the tube in her nose (known as gavage feedings). Recently, she has developed some envy of her sister and seems to get very upset when Addi gets to eat. She is learning to exhert her own bold voice and tries to convince me that her nurses are starving her and she wants to eat too. Only, she has ALREADY eaten by the time we get to Addi. I've tried to explain to her that she needs to slow down her breathing before she can try, but she is apparently very stubborn (a trait that could be linked back to either her mother or father). She is also in an isolette to keep her warm. I have also noticed that she is very much like her papa. All you need to do is lightly rub her head and she is soon fast asleep. Ask Brian and he will tell you that I have stayed awake many times to watch a movie alone because no sooner do I rub my hands thru his hair and he is fast asleep.

I have been very exhausted, but promise that tomorrow I will get some more pictures posted for you all. Patience please. I did want to let you all know how wonderful they are and how good they are doing. It is like nothing I have ever experienced before and can't even begin to explain other than I am too blessed to even begin to be appropriately thankful for. Yes, it was all worth it in the end (though there is no way in HELL I'll be doing it again anytime soon!)

2 comments :

  1. Kelly Congratulations!!!I just popped onto your blog and found out. I am so excited for you two. Best of Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    Kudos on a great job and good luck with breastfeeding, you continue to be a wonderful mother!

    Everyone who reads your blog totally understands that postings may be fewer and farther between - you have 2 very important #1 priorities that need to be near you as often as possible and you have to take care of yourself and heal from your surgery.

    Do Addi and Lily ever get to be right next to each other or are they kept separate at all times? I'm told that as a very newborn baby, I wouldn't calm down and go to sleep until I was up against my twin sister, Emily - even just a few days old I would wiggle my way across the crib and as soon as I was touching Emily, I would fall asleep. (I guess after witnessing this, my parents gave me a break and would just lay me down next to her right away).

    I'm sure there are safety concerns with the tubes for each girl, but touch is so important and they've been playing with each other and hearing each other for so long it's what they know.

    Good luck and take care of yourself and your daughters!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.