What was to be a day of work turned into a day at home (on call) and high production. I attempted a Mediterranean chicken salad (I don't like chicken salad) in hopes of finding something new I might enjoy. I made it through half a sandwich and seemed to really like it until some primal thing in my brain started to make me gaggy. Have you ever had that? You've made yourself think you dislike something so much that even if you find out you do like it you still can't eat it? Maybe it's just me. Hmmm...
From there came some homemade olive tapanade and then homemade bread. I hope to become a master bread baker. It's one of my dreams. I make some mean soups so master bread baker would be a logical next step. My wonderful MIL gave me a great book for my birthday and so today I made a small shopping trip and dusted off the cover. I've made bread several times in the past and it's been hit and miss. Some great baguettes and some not so great sandwich bread, etc. Today looked like it was going to be more of a miss, but now I have high hopes. It looks so golden brown and delicious. Someday, I hope to get into starters and all that other mysterious stuff only master bread bakers know. I wish I had a mentor. I wish it was something I had learned growing up, but unfortunately it is a dying art. Hopefully I can master it and pass it onto my girls. There is a sense of pride one obtains in creation. Growing a plant from seed, making a loaf of bread, raising a child (or rather children). I love the sensation of it all. Spreading flour over the surface of the table. Kneading the dough. The smell of it as it bakes. The warmth of the oven.
Speaking of growing, the garden has been planted and I wait eagerly for my first seeds to sprout. I am very excited to be outside, weeding and harvesting. Cucumbers, tomatoes, peas, carrots, beets, radishes, green and yellow beans. It's mouthwatering. I hope to start taking advantage of the local farmers markets this year as well. I also hope to instill a love of veggies in my hubby. A man (with high cholesterol especially) can not live off chicken wings alone.
The girls are growing like weeds themselves. It won't be long and we will be going in for six month photos! Time has gone by so quickly it really is unbelievable. Today, as I bake bread and snuggle my girls and dine on the delicious meat cake (that's meat loaf to you folk) my wonderous hubby made, I remember once again how very blessed I am.
Lilian
Adeline
My blessings
Awwww, Kelly, that's such a sweet post! You are one blessed woman (and they're pretty blessed too!)! Missy A.
ReplyDeleteYo yo yo! The ice cream tastes pretty delicious. Where are the pics of the new arrangement? I miss your family :( Hugs... Auntie Lori
ReplyDeleteKelly, thanks so much for the fun postings!! Maybe you could ask Grandma Darlene for some pointers on bread making-I know she used to make lots of buns & rolls. Love, Aunt LU
ReplyDeleteI could give you advise on baking bread...if only I could remember where I had to throw the last batch I made...had to be the recipe! Nope, no help from MIL but I can't wait to have some...looks delish! I am soooo proud of you for all your "natural" tastes...Mom W
ReplyDelete