Well, as if it wasn't bad enough that she has taken a SERIOUS backseat to the babies (Walk? What's a walk?) over the last few days she hasn't been herself. I had noticed that over the last couple months she had given up her dog bed to lay in her kennel. She is only locked in at night (not that you need to lock the door as she will sleep in there more than willingly). Now, she has been spending a vast majority of the day in there coming out only to check for dropped food in the kitchen and go outside. Usually she is like an alarm clock reminding me at 5pm every night that is time to eat- at least for her. Now over the last 3 days she has stopped eating and drinking. I did get her to eat a small amount of food last night when I moved her bowl to a new location, but only a little. She hasn't been acting hungry or anything.
So today Bri took her to the vet. There they discovered a bunch of lumps on her shoulders some of which were open due to scratching. They did a few tests. No mites. No ringworm. No idea what the problem is. Allergies? No one really knows. Now she simply looks partially shaved and very sad. They gave us some antibiotics and told us to come back in a week if it isn't better. They said she is really dehydrated and we need to make sure she drinks (which so far she isn't) and if she's not eating or drinking by Monday she will need to come back in for IV fluids.
I realize that I am a pet owner and took on a responsibility when I took her in. But this is something we simply can't afford. So then what? Do I watch my beloved dog slowly die? Put her down? Ugghhh. I hate these things. It makes me feel so powerless. It makes me feel like a bad person. Why should my dog's life be any less important than my daughters'? It's not like she's old. She is only three. She should have many more years in her. I don't think I can ever take in another animal if we lose her. I know my hubby wouldn't agree. But I can't always feel stuck between this rock and hard place. I know it is easy for some people to say "It's just a dog" but I'm not that sort of person. She is not replaceable. She is not expendable. She is my dog. My baby. My best friend (besides you my love). Any advice anyone? Could really use about anything right now...
:( This is so sad. Poor Lucky.
ReplyDeleteWe just had to put my dog Holly down. She was almost 10 years old and they think she had a brain tumor. We chose to put her to sleep before she started to suffer and when we could say a goodbye in the way we thought we should. It was still a hard decision and we shed so many tears. We had already spend hundreds if not thousands on vet bills, so I understand that part too. Good luck and we'll be thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteAmie
I'm sure the vet asked if you changed Lucky's brand of food, I know that can sometimes really affect a dog's appetite. When Lucky stopped using her doggie bed, had you recently washed it or used an air freshener on it that might have bothered her?
ReplyDeleteAnimals cannot tell us where it hurts, and it is a very serious and scary thing when they are very ill and won't drink or eat. If she stays very sick and you have to have her euthanized, it won't be because you didn't love her enough, it will be because you loved her SO much that you didn't want her to suffer.
If you have to give her up for adoption because of financial reasons, Lucky will understand...she's very protective of you and loves the girls...good dogs would do anything for their family, even if that means saying "goodbye."
I'm crossing my fingers that Lucky will start feeling better.
I'm hoping her skin issue isn't related to her lack of appetite/lethargy.
Hopefully the antibiotics will do their job and make her feel better soon.
Here's to Lucky being lucky!!
~Abby