So the beginnings of baby proofing are upon us. I know, I know. Most of you never did it and your kids all turned out fine. Except little Jimmy who was crushed by a falling bookcase. Oh and little Lisa who fell out a window! Yes, I am a paranoid modern day mother of one very curious and mobile young girl and another who manages to find herself stuck in the oddest of positions and places. If they sold plastic baby balls for them roll safely around in I would buy them.
I came home from work and chatted with our Friday sitter about her recent engagement until about 6:30. From then until 7:15 Addi managed to ambush me in the bathroom. Slap my feet while I made some supper. Attack the package of toilet paper rolls in the bathroom. Get a hold of the fridge cord that I had never noticed was hanging out. Make a bee line for the basement steps. Get stuck under the high chairs. Almost pull the box with the new baby gate down on top of herself. Come into the nursery to yell at us while I changed Lili's pants. And she's not even crawling yet! Ugghhh. So now there are safety latches on the fridge and stove. Latches on the cabinets holding cleaners and pots&pans and breakable dishware. A tightly closed bathroom door.
I'm pretty sure the gate isn't going to work d/t the window ledge placement. I don't know what I am going to possibly find to block those basement stairs. Now all I have to do is bolt all the bookshelves to the walls, move all the potted plants that can be dug up, eaten or tipped, put latches on the pull out drawers, move the mouse traps (yes, I think they are back) next to the fridge and relocate all the extension cords running around the nursery. To start. What a busy weekend.
For starters, a pediatric nurse KNOWS better than to NOT baby proof a house. I do, however, lothe the comment "I didn't do that and my kids turned out fine".
ReplyDeleteAnd what? You guys have a sitter now days? I didn't know. I am glad that you took the plunge. Was it a smooth transition?
Miss you too!!
You go girl...never too much baby-proofing!! Those babies are able to find things that the normal human eye does not see :) With every daycare child, I remember thinking, gee what fun it will be when they start to move about! And then remember thinking...WHY did I think that ??? A fun "adventure-ous" age for all!! Nana...
ReplyDelete