Monday, April 26, 2010

Great Grandmas Everywhere!

Well, it was a nice week spent playing outside. The girls managed to make their first real mess of themselves no thanks to our neighbor kids teaching them just how dirt really works. I learned that 1.) dirt is fun at any age  2.) don't wear white to a play date as you, too, will be covered in dirt by the end of it. 3.) it is so refreshing to be surrounded by grown ups and see all the ways in which one can raise their kids- one young boy of 4 yrs in particular took a shine to us (having never "met" us before) and spent the whole time offering me toys that the girls might like. This included his bike. I hope to raise such generous thoughtful little girls. Judging by the way they fight over everything and run away with their sissy's cup just for the reaction of it, it would seem I have a ways to go! It's so nice to get out an join the neighbors and not feel like such a hermit. It's the one downfall of a fenced in yard.

We made a getaway this weekend to my hometown. We made a pit stop along the way to see Brian's grandma who hadn't seen the girls since August and have lunch with Nana. It was a nice car trip down with the girls sleeping the whole way. My maternal grandma had arrived back from her winter in Arizona and so we decided to be there to greet her. It had been since September since she'd seen the girls. Such big changes since then. Their other great-grandma also lives in town and came over as well. Three great-gmas in one weekend. The girls definitely enjoyed all the attention and took full advantage hamming it up for everyone. Not to mention all the goodies they got. Gma Deb had not made them Easter baskets so much as Easter boxes! Talk about spoiled. Oh well, as long as I still get spoiled every once and again- which I do. Thanks again Mama!

As much as I love routines for the girls, it does make it that much more difficult when we travel. Not their beds, up a wee bit later, etc. Because of this, Addi had her second bout with night terrors. As a parent, it is very scary, especially if you've never seen them before. Essentially, she acts as if she is in terrible pain. Screaming, not crying but screaming, and kicking away from you. Completely inconsolable. She doesn't see you, doesn't hear you- her eyes are open but she looks right through you and unfortunately all you can do is wait it out. She's still sleeping, but not. I hate feeling so helpless. Bri had major issues as a kid with night terrors and sleepwalking. I am hoping that this is just a very rare reaction to stress and not an ongoing event. I don't want to watch her go through this regularly. I know she supposedly doesn't recall any of it, but it is still hurtful to watch. But despite all this it was a good weekend.

2 comments :

  1. Ugh. Night terrors...they're awful, aren't they?!

    So, I finally figured my head from my ass and got you on my blog roll...now I know the second you have a new post up!

    I still think your girls are fabulously adorable...and, I love seeing their spunky personalities. Makes me know I'm not alone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest had night terrors because my youngest had reflux and screamed all night long. Once my youngest was on zantac the night terrors pretty much went away. Good Luck! I know how horrible they are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.