Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Great Outdoors

We have been busy lil' bees here at the W household. We have decided that this year we will be concentrating our efforts on the backyard. It is where we spend the majority of our time. After making a giant mess of things and being told I can no longer "help" in the future without first asking, I finally have a new flower bed, freshly tilled as is the garden. 

My beautiful, adorable and ever so thoughtful daughters bought me the most beautiful "Ramblin' Red" climbing rose. Just what I asked for! I've been wanting to try my hand at roses. I did not hesitate to give it a prime piece of reality that both passers-by will be able to admire as well as those of us hanging out back. The things can apparently grow up to almost 10 feet in a year! Shouldn't take too long to get established so long as I don't kill it first! I've been doing a bit of research and have decided that perhaps that combined with good soil and dumb luck might be just the thing.


I have also planted my hydrangea bush that I got about two years ago. Thanks to the previous location and Bri's thoroughness with the weed-wiper, this is as tall as it has ever gotten. So far, one small sprout. Hopefully it shall amount to more here in it's new locale.  Tomorrow will hopefully allow for a trip to buy mulch and a couple more plants. Bri will also be picking up some new fencing for my clematis that looks like may actually grow this year!
If you look real close you can see one small bud near the lower right...

My new guest- Thanks Sandie

Brian put in a good 10+ hours, but finally conquered the playhouse. I'm not sure that it could have come in anymore pieces. The girls love it, particularly Lili, who when she isn't playing Warden and locking people inside yelling "No Get Out!" is busy feeding everyone green beans as she slaves away at the stove. At one point she grabbed the phone (yes it came with a pretend phone and a real working doorbell) and was talking to someone before she had to tell them "No talk now" and proceeded to hang up so she could get back to her hungry lodgers.




Kitchenette full of "green beans"

It's been exciting to see all of the things that I have planted in the last few years popping up and filling in. It's looking real nice. Hell, my rhubarb is flowering already. I don't know that I can be held accountable for any of it. I have a good heart, but am pretty poor on the follow through that comes with gardening. Oh well. Whatever it is, it is working. All in all, it's been a laborious but productive spring and it shant be long before we are sitting back, drinking margaritas and taking it all in.

2 comments :

  1. WHERE did you get that playhouse?! And, your "Rainbow Connection" duet? Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ol' Fleet Farm! They love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.