| Artist Jenny Schmid- Not my exact print from her collection, but SO close... |
Home today with a sick Lili. Fevers of 104+, cough and general cruddiness. Poor thing.
Anyway, today got me thinking about something that Bri had brought up the other day that I would like to attempt to open some discussion on. I would really love to hear from everyone on this. I'm not sure I've tried this before so we shall see how it goes...
For those who don't know, I have a bachelor's in Fine Art- painting particularly. I have amassed a mini collection that I am proud of and have thus far been happy to display. However, one of these pieces is of "questionable" subject matter (as it applies to children) & some slight female nudity. Bri brought up the idea of replacing it with something more "appropriate" for the children (it hangs in our livingroom). Instantly I could feel my fur go up. It's art. It shouldn't have to be altered or censored. How dare he! But then I got to thinking, should it? I am torn in two directions on this one. Part of me sees it as the confusing, scary piece my children may view it as. The other sees it as the beautiful piece it really is, the topic starter it could be for my kids about the evils of drugs, etc and the beauty of art & expressing your thoughts, ideas, soul...
I would love, love, love to hear all your thoughts on this one to maybe help me straighten mine out...
That is very cool that you are an artist of several types of media. As for the "questionable" piece, I guess I would probably move it to your bedroom until it was a bit more 'age appropriate' for your girls and their friends to see. Maybe when they are 13 you can bring it back out. They may get more out of it at that age, the piece could help foster discussions about the topics of drugs, etc., and it won't be scary, but will be understood as "art".
ReplyDelete~Abby
My thought on it is that if you're willing to answer questions about it your kids may come up with and deal with any fears they may have about it, then keep it up. If you don't feel you can, then it should come down. They'll be exposed to that kind of stuff sooner or later, and better under your guidance than from peers/society, etc.
ReplyDeleteLOVE it! Keep 'em coming...
ReplyDelete