
Yes, it's that time of year again. Jelly! My currants are red and ripe for the picking. I bribed the girls with suckers to help me out and cut the picking time down to about 45 minutes. Yes, 45 minutes to clean out one bush on our fence line.
Now if you haven't tried currants, they are TART! However, there is some sort of magic that happens with cooking (much like molasses, yuck!) that turns them into this delectable red runny deliciousness. Yum! The jars look like they are filled with bright, red, clear sweetness! Delicious on sandwiches, toast, pancakes & waffles, not to mention ice cream! And did I mention, easy? No pectin needed!
I even managed to keep my kitchen somewhat clean this year and instead of freezer jam I canned them thanks to the stuff my mother handed down to me! What a wonderful way to spend my morning. There is just something about lining our shelves with things that we can enjoy all year round that I know will make me smile each time I crack one open...
We had the pleasure of spending the afternoon hiking with friends which was such a joy and we couldn't have been blessed with a more beautiful day for it...
| Yep, the Meyer antiphotogenic gene strikes again! It's victim- Lili! |
Besides sharing their family & their day, they were very generous to share with us the cherries & blueberries they had gotten from an Amish farm. So what better to do tonight but make more jelly!?! (Yeah, I know. But all my stuff was already out and what else is an old married lady to do on a Saturday night?)
So, I made a batch of blueberry cherry jelly followed by a batch of cherry jam. Along with a secret ingredient (ooohhhh!) they taste divine!
Can't wait for breakfast!
Those look awesome! We are just beginning to consider how we are going to preserve our overflowing and mostly vegetable garden. Do you just make jams and jellies or have you ever dabbled in veggies?
ReplyDeleteSo far I just tried jams and jellies. I was hoping to do vegetables this year but, alas, my tomatoes do not look like they're growing very well...
ReplyDeleteThe jams And jellies look fabulous Kelly! And I am glad you have good friends to share good times with. It was a great weekend to create more memories. I hope to be on the "receiving" end of tasting those good looking jams soon :)
ReplyDelete