We had great aunts and great gmas over to love and snuggle our girls and *micccchaelllll* (he-he; the family will get it. Inside joke) even took a turn. Even got ourselves a four generation pic with G-gma D, gma D, myself and the girls.
Addi got herself a BA (that stands for bad-*ss) mohawk after her bath but ended up looking mostly like a Kewpie Doll. So much for that.

Little miss Lili decided to roll over today! Who would have guessed as she never really tried until today, unlike her sister who spends most her time twisting onto her side. Lili hasn't quite figured out how to pull her arm out from under her, but heck, she did just learn today. I had to work (wah-wah...) but my ever thoughtful hubby did capture the event on video! I am so proud. She did this in NICU with her feedings. Just came out of nowhere when we didn't think she was even in the running.
I'm finding it's hard not to compare and contrast them. To label them. I find everyone wanting to do it, too. Fit them into tidy little categories. The "fussy one" or the "active one" or the "mama's baby", etc. Everyone wants to know which one is this or that. I hate it. I don't want to pigeon hole them, but at the same time they do feel like different kids in some ways and I think that is normal and noteworthy as well. It's hard and I'm not really sure how to handle it. Any suggestions? I know it will only get worse as they get older; the "fat one" or "pretty one" or "smart one". I don't want either to ever feel like it's a competition or that one is ever less than the other. Not sure how to nip this in the bud in myself or others. I think it's only human nature to want to label them, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy.
Hey Kelly! I don't know if it'll make you feel any better, but I find the same things happen with my kids, and they're all singletons! I get the impression that it's a sibling thing to do, perhaps not just a twin thing? I can't believe how big they are! I think Addi's face is hilarious with the mohawk..."what the hell are they doing to me?" See ya soon! Missy A.
ReplyDeleteI usually read your blog on my google blog reader (such an awesome thing) so I don't usually see how cute your blog is and I had no idea you had changed the background and layout! That picture is absolutly beautiful of the four of you. As far as labeling your kids, as long as no one gets labeled "the poopy one", "the stinky one" or "the gassy one" and they both get labeled "the totally adorable one" I'm sure they won't feel like they're competeing. But heck, what do I know, I'm already labeling my baby (the kung-fu master, he's a kicky little twerp) and he isn't even born yet.
ReplyDeleteYea Lili!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly. I am a twin myself and I am VERY different from my twin sister. I think if you are equally appreciative of their individual qualities (like you already are) and try to compliment them instead of comparing them. For example, "she is such a mamma's girl." That way it is just a statement about her character, not what the other one may or may not be lacking. A comment to others that you can say is "we appreciate how unique each of our girls are" or just tell them you don't like it. I think the most important thing (I wish we had when I was growing up) is individual time with each girl as they get older. Maybe a family member can take one while you take the other on an individual trip. We didn't get upset when our individual accomplishments were rewarded, only when they were compared to the other's. Hope that helps! You are a great mom who respects individuality and you are doing awesome!
ReplyDelete