Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pancake Thursday

My day off is finally here. I had previously deemed it "Pancake Thursday" but after last night's events I think I might change it to "Bloody Mary Thursday". It turns out that trying to get my hubby to the salon enough to actually cover his salon rent and make money hasn't been working too well. So we started talking about finding someone to come out for a couple hours twice a week to watch the girls so we could free up more time for him. We decided that if we could find someone from only 3-6 that it would be affordable and Bri could work from 3-9 which would be a pretty decent day. I was feeling okay about the whole idea and we even set up for two people to come out and meet us and the girls (Bri actually knows one of them already and she is a former nanny).

Then last night just as we were going to bed we hear a quick cry then silence then a quick cry and maybe some stuffiness. So I decided I needed to go down and check. I can hear it the minute I walk into the nursery. Addi is struggling to breathe and could only get out a brief cry/gasp now and again. I flipped on the light and there she is with curdled milk around her nose and lips and a mouth full of thick mucous and milk. Not much, but apparently enough to block things off pretty well. So after some patting (or rather, pounding) and vigorous suction (repeat, repeat, repeat) she was okay. It was only about 2 minutes top but it felt like a lifetime. Think about it. Actually sit down and watch the clock tick off two full minutes and imagine your child looking at you with panic in her eyes and not breathing but gasping. It was so fucking scary (I'd say pardon the french but, well it WAS fucking scary). Not as bad as she had choked in the past, but I guess I had really thought we were past this. I expected maybe some choking once we started table foods or something, but not anymore of this. And at bedtime. What if I'd been asleep. What if she does it while we are watching TV and can't hear her in her room? What if next time it's enough that she can't cry out to let us know? At this rate I'm pretty sure I'm not having any more kids. This is too much. I know I will always worry, but at least it'd only be over the two I already have.

And now the idea of leaving them with anyone, let alone someone we don't really know too well is so overwhelming. I can already hear it all "It was just a fluke, they'll be fine" and "You just have to love them, you can't control everything". Blah blah blah. So if that is what you want to tell me I don't want to hear it. Nothing personal but it's a bunch of BS. I want to hear "That sucks" or "God, I don't blame you for feeling terrified to leave them" or something worthwhile. And so help me if I hear anything along the lines of "Let go and let God" I will hit you. I'm not sure how, but I will find some way to reach through this screen and do just that. I know my hubby (and some of you) will probably be bothered, offended or upset by this last part of the blog. Oh well. This is how I feel. I'm sick of being made to feel like I am some sort of neurotic mom because I worry about my girls. What those people don't get is that if the right course of action hadn't been taken in some of these events my girls might have died. That's the reality. And I know that I AM the sort of person that might blame that person here who couldn't save them and then blame myself (for life) that I wasn't here to help them. At least if they do it on my watch I know that I know what to do and that if something were to happen I would know that everything that could be done would be. That's not to say I still wouldn't blame myself until my dying day and doubt that maybe I could do more, but that is easier somehow. So I don't want to hear something cliche or that I'm over reacting. I'm venting. I'm being honest. There is something to be said for that I guess. But any original thoughts I would be more than welcome to hear because I know that I can't be there all the time but I know it will be hard to let that replacement be a stranger.

8 comments :

  1. I think I liked 'Pancake Thursday' better :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know "Pancake Thursday" would have been better. Hang in there-it is always hard to leave the little ones-I'm sure glad that I did not have to until they were older. Love to all!!!! Aunt LU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone once told me that motherhood was all about constantly letting go. I understand this. However, does it always have to come with so much worry? Kelly, I know you've never met me, but I wish I could just give you a hug right now. Scary times, and you'll just have to figure it out somehow. I know that doesn't help, but it's the only thing that I know right now from raising Kirstin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how you are feeling. I CANNOT leave my son with anyone other than my parents or my husband. I cannot. I will not.

    I'm super lucky because I am a stay-at-home mother. My husband and I knew that's what we wanted before our son was conceived, and so it was many years in the making for us to be able to be a one-income family. We're also lucky because we live in the same town as my parents (again, that was deliberate).

    Many people have offered to watch him and it sends me into a mini-panic just thinking about it. Even when we're around the people I "trust" to watch him, it's been proven time and again that clearly I AM THE ONLY ONE who can really watch him - I see and hear better than them apparently, and I'm apparently the only one who can catch/stop him from getting hurt even when there are 6 other people in the room.

    I would forever blame myself if he got seriously hurt or worse in the care of someone else. It would be MY FAULT because I wasn't there, because I trusted someone else to watch him.

    I am his mother. He is my life.

    I'm sure lots of people would say I have anxiety and control issues and that I have to relax and "let him go a little."

    Bullshit. He is my responsibility.

    I look forward to the day when he has on his little backpack and enters his little kindergarten room because I know he'll love it....and yes, it scares me to let someone else care for him (and 20 other little kids). I will be constantly available if there is a problem and I'll be volunteering at his school until he begs me not to.

    My mother always says, "it takes a village to make life go"...and I understand that and there are tons of really good, caring babysitters out there (I was when I was younger).

    On to my suggestions:

    Could the girls go with Brian to the salon for a few hours and sit in high chairs or jumpers and watch him work?

    My cousin had to go to work part-time and met a neighborhood older lady that she felt like she could trust, They had her come over during the day to become "part of the family" several weeks before she left her daughter alone with her to make sure she could be trusted and knew protocol...and she knew infant/toddler CPR.

    3 hours a day isn't bad...and as long as the caregiver is there during a period where there are no naps, no feedings, and no outings, everything would most likely be okay.

    Good luck--and you are an AWESOME MOMMY!!

    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, one more suggestion, and I admit I have no idea what it takes to be a small business owner, or what it takes to run a salon.

    But - could Brian work from home? Could he give up the salon for a while and still do the salon work...but from home?

    My mother-in-law is a hairdresser and she has people come to her house to cut/style their hair.

    You guys will make it work, whatever you decide.

    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I was wondering if she has some "silent" reflux or something. I can't remember... is she on zantac?

    Second, is there another nurse/mommy you can "baby share" sometimes? Like she comes over with her kids and watches your girls and vice versa? That way you would feel (a little bit) more comfortable with another nurse there? I know it would make me feel better!

    Good luck!
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you! Hope the new job is going all right, and that you are having some luck in finding/deciding to do with your littles...it sucks, doesn't it? That we have to let/trust someone else with our most precious gifts? Anywho, sorry if you think I'm nutty, but I awarded you a "One Lovely Blog" award...enjoy (or something!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I happened upon your blog and felt I needed to comment. I don't know you or your exact situation, but all I can think to say is that as parents we all have had these feelings and experiences with our children whether it's when they are infants or older. You'll find a way to make it thru. Being a germ phobe myself, I wouldn't let my children go with dad to the salon though. Sounds like you've been quite fortunate already to not have needed daycare this long. Have you thought about a center? There's always multiple people watching the kids and they are kept in groups according to age. Sorry to ramble, that's my 2 cents. Hopefully everything will work out and you can both keep your careers - that's very important too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.