Friday, January 29, 2010

Thank You Caesar Milan

That's right. Caesar Milan. You know, the Dog Whisperer. After receiving some wonderful insight from my dearest doctor Peitso (the pediatrician whom with which I work day in and day out & who will from here on be referred to as my DDP for short) I decided that instead of succumbing to the idea that my girls were just outright little mean brats who don't appreciate their mother I would realize that they were simply strong, complex, independent little white girls who just aren't capable of expressing their needs or dealing with their emotions quite yet. So, I decided to take some of my DDP's advice and ignore. Ignore the food throwing and ignore the screaming. It is not a relinquishing of my power or admission of defeat, but simply a non-response. I will not react as that is what they seem to be trying to do- provoke me. It is their entertainment. No response is boring and an end to the game. As for the rest I have turned to my good friend Caesar. If he can retrain a dog in a matter of a day, hell, I've got to be able to do something with these kids. So I have adopted the idea that just like me my kids are excited to be reunited after such a long day and like many of the dogs that Caesar encounters this excitement can lead to trouble.

Now I know, yes, I did just compare my kids to dogs. I'm not taking it back, just hear me out. Now, normally I come home and rush in to give all sorts of hugs and kisses and play on the floor and wrestle while trying to talk to Bri or the sitter and instantly the biting and fighting and misbehaving starts. So instead I have decided to wait for what Caesar refers to as the calm submissive state. Now, I come in and pick up each girl for a big kiss or two and a big hug and then sit in the chair while I talk with the sitter. They may come over to whine, but they get a quick smile and touch and are told to "go play" and instantly give up. Once they have calmed and are over the idea that "MAMA'S HOME!!!" then I can sit on the floor and play with them. Granted, I've only had one real day to test my theory as they seem to misbehave most on days where I have been gone for the majority of it, but I am glad to report that I have yet to be bit in the last three days. Also, no malicious hair pulling.

They really are bright girls. You even say "food" or ask if they are hungry and instantly the stop whatever they are doing and make a bee line for the kitchen. Addi had some icky pants today and walked over to her bedroom door and just stood there until I came over. They follow simple commands (when they want to that is) and are quickly learning where new body parts are. Both can tell you where their heads and bellies are but only Lili knows where her ear is and only Addi can point to her nose. They are waving hi/bye especially once their diapers come off and they wave as they take off for the livingroom. They give intentional kisses when asked to you or each other and even try to kiss Lucky sometimes just because they want to. They seem to really like her. I'm not so sure that she reciprocates. Since they started walking (that's their primary mode of transportation now) they've given up on words. They definetly recognize them, but just refuse to use them. All I seem to get anymore is some pathetic "Mama"s here and there. Such smart, strong, complex, independent little white chicks!

1 comment :

  1. Wow...you are on to something! Prety soon, you are gonna have your own TLC show, "The Kid Talker"...and you'll be teaching people like me how to control their unruly kids!

    Like "Nanny 911", only you're much cuter and more fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.