Saturday, October 19, 2013

What's new

 It has been busy, busy, busy since we last spoke.

      We have been working hard towards goals that seem odd and complex to those around us.  It's really pretty easy.  We took a look at what in our life is stressing us out (our house and all the upkeep it takes to mow, clean, fix etc) and and at that stuff in life that brings us joy (mainly each other and our girls).

       After that, we decided to dump the crumby stuff ( aka sell our house and downsize to an apartment) and do all we can to maximize the good stuff (that does NOT mean fatten up the kids, grandma, so stop buying them so much candy!)

     With the prospect of getting an apartment, we decided it was time to find Miss Maggie a new and loving home.  Our friend Scarlet was gracious enough to take her in and as we understand it, she is having a blast finally having some feline company.



The girls have been oddly excited about listing the house.  I'm not sure how much of it all they comprehend, but they have been excited by the talk of keeping their bunk beds and the possibility of their own swimming pool and elevator.  Oh what joy the little things can bring.

American Gothic Revisted

It's really been a lot of work and with the cold weather and I hate to say it *snow* approaching, I have been pulling up all of my garden stuff to store for some time in the future perhaps.  I was able to find a taker for the composter and have pressed a couple of the lingering buds off the rose bush. 

I really thought it would be harder to let go of my garden, and perhaps I will have more tears next currant season, but oddly enough, I am greatly looking forward to a cozier space and no upkeep.  I will be able to enjoy any of my hobbies and converse with my kids & hubby as I do it.  It may sound weird to others, but I can't wait!

On another note

In speaking of joy & hobbies, I have been doing a lot of drawing and sketching lately. I think you heard about the sketchbook challenge of 2013, well, I finished and to tell the truth, I loved every minute.  I forgot how much I love to draw.  Oh, yeah, I finished. Early.

This has lead me to begin the revamp of Holey Socks, my previous Etsy shop.  I am currently working hard to make a ton of new prints and artworks to share with the world! You will see some preview in the sidebar on the blog (scroll down) and you can get a glimpse of things to come in the header below.  Keep checking in for more as the shop begins to take shape and develop.


2 comments :

  1. It is so wonderful that things are moving along for your family. I had left a comment last month because I had done the same thing a few years ago with my family. (which includes a hubby, son and twin daughters)
    I hope that you are having fun while planning and doing all of the downsizing. My kids loved the move to an apartment as well. Living within a 10 minute walk to the Dollar Store really gets their butts in gear to get chores done. Doing laundry in a laundry room is the greatest adventure for them every week. They really get into doing it correctly and then going to the snack machine.
    On a personal note, I work for a Childhood Cancer Foundation and at a Children's Hospital as a mixture of a case/social worker and a child life specialist for children with cancer and their families. I see a lot of saddness in my day to day life and it does get to me. One way I cope was to make life simple with my children. Things mean nothing. When someone sees that truth in this world of supreme excess I want to hug them. (not in a creepy way. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrea! It really is so nice to have some encouragement from another crazy person who has done this.

    It's funny, our jobs sound so similar. I am a Health Care Home Care Coordinator at CentraCare working in pediatrics with our special needs kids.

    Maybe it has something to do with seeing what another parents bad day can look like (their child is now on hospice) or what little things are really so huge (celebrating another birthday) that makes you realize how lucky you are and how it is a privilege but never a guarantee. Maybe it takes seeing things like that to see how it really is the little things & all your experiences that make you happy and not that cute pair of shoes you've been drooling over.

    It makes me realize every day that I have the privilege of saying that I have never truly known hardship. I also see how quickly that can change and you can lose all you had.

    I'm glad you've been reading & that you've taken the time to reach out. Really. It makes me want to hug you back (also in a non-creepy way!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would LOVE to hear from you...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.